This Page

has been moved to new address

The new teacher gulch

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lead from the Start: The new teacher gulch

Friday, December 21, 2007

The new teacher gulch

Jose Vilson included a graph of new teacher attitudes towards teaching in their first year on his insightful blog about teaching in the inner city. I have seen this graph played out by the first teacher that I was a university supervisor for last year. She started out great. Her attitude took a nose dive as she got some late registering students.
She struggled through Oct. and Nov. then right before winter break, I could tell she was going to make it. I am not exactly sure what it was that told me she was going to be able to be a great teacher in our high needs inner city school but, I could tell. She started laughing again, and maintaining a guarded optimism that seems to be one of the key ingredients to success in our school. Here is the graph. I also have a copy that I showed my former student teacher in Nov. just to give her some perspective. Maybe it helped.

1 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Blogger Jose Vilson said...

And I find it interesting how true this chart goes, even for people who seem to have it all together (people thought, during my first year, that it was my second or third year, but I still went through these phases). I think everyone, including administrators, need to look at this chart and develop their school environments to at least blunt the edges of this rather harsh cycle teachers go through.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home