This Page

has been moved to new address

Olympian Michael Phelps and Preschool - (an ADD Story)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Lead from the Start: Olympian Michael Phelps and Preschool - (an ADD Story)

Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympian Michael Phelps and Preschool - (an ADD Story)

When does a deficit become a strength? When does who a child is become more important than society's norms? When and how do we decide if a child, especially a pre-k student, needs a medical intervention for behavior? When does a bunch of energy become "too much" energy for a parent or a teacher?

My beautiful wife told me about an interview with Olympian Michael Phelps' mother in the New York Times. It was arranged by a pharmaceutical company that Ms. Phelps is representing as a "celebrity mom" of a person who grew up with Attention Deficit (Hyperactivity) Disorder or ADD . The strange thing is that Michael never took the drug company's medication. He was, however, on Ritalin for two years from age 9 to age 11. Then Michael and his mother decided he didn't want to be on it anymore. His mom, a teacher, listened to the advice of his doctor and teachers who identified his lack of focus and attention in school as ADD. The "signs" were identified early.
Starting with preschool, teachers complained: Michael couldn’t stay quiet at quiet time, Michael wouldn’t sit at circle time, Michael didn’t keep his hands to himself, Michael was giggling and laughing and nudging kids for attention.

As he entered public school, he displayed what his teachers called “immature” behavior. “In kindergarten I was told by his teacher, ‘Michael can’t sit still, Michael can’t be quiet, Michael can’t focus,’ ” recalled Ms. Phelps, who was herself a teacher for 22 years. The family had recently moved, and she felt Michael might be frustrated because the kindergarten curriculum he was getting in the new district was similar to the pre-K curriculum in their old district.

“I said, maybe he’s bored,” Ms. Phelps recalled saying to his teacher. “Her comment to me — ‘Oh, he’s not gifted.’ I told her I didn’t say that, and she didn’t like that much. I was a teacher myself so I didn’t challenge her, I just said, ‘What are you going to do to help him?’ ”
In my years as a pre-k teacher I have encountered true ADD only a handful of times. Every time a child I taught was put on medication it was because the parent couldn't handle a kid, not because I couldn't. Often parents have asked me, do you think she needs medication? I always have to say I don't know, she seems to be able to learn just fine. There are some things about ADD and attention that we confuse when we talk about learning. When we look at the description of Michael's pre-k experience his learning is never an issue. It is only behavior when he is not learning and how he effects other kids that is an issue for the teacher. Many times teachers confuse attention with learning. When we move our perception of learning from what kids do to what kids know as shown on age appropriate assessments then we take the child's "behavior" and separate it from learning.

When Michael's mom told his teacher, "Maybe he’s bored,” the teacher was offended. She thought that if he was bored that he was not within the range of normal child development. That he couldn't be bored unless he was gifted. This isn't the way it works. As many pre-k teachers can tell you active learners need to be engaged physically and intellectually. Michael's mom mentions that in Kindergarten the curriculum was similar to the pre-k curriculum Michael had just completed. This happens to children who are in pre-k all over the country. When a child leaves my class knowing all 26 upper-case letters, lower-case letters, and letter sounds and then goes to Kindergarten with kids who don't have any of these skills, the teacher can't stretch far enough to keep up the accelerated pace pre-k students expect. Many times pre-k kids expect appropriate teaching as well, which may include center work, gross motor learning games, and alternated active and passive learning through out the day.

So here are the questions at hand:

If you teach pre-k or have a preschooler, when and how do you decide what is normal energy and what is ADD? What are some steps to take before medication? What has worked and what hasn't? What is the difference between ADD in girls and boys? Finally, when are the teacher or the school at fault for creating the circumstances where a child is not successful and when is a child's behavior so "out of the ordinary" that is prohibits success in the classroom? Please leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Photo from: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/46251-michael-phelps-gets-second-gold-us-wins-in-thrilling-fashion

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your comment about "learning". Too often we forget that school is for learning. Sitting still and listening may sometimes be important but they are not the main goal. Most of us, and especially young children, need to talk and move in order to learn.
Patty

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Geek in the Pink said...

He made Six golds at the 2004 Olympics. Seven golds at the 2007 Worlds. Michael Phelps will enter eight races in Beijing within reach of multiple records, including most career Olympic golds (9) and most golds at a single Games (7).

And now Phelps wins 400m, takes gold and breaks his own world record in the 400m IM.

see Michael Phelps 2008 Olympic Winning Moment Photos

Would he take 8 Gold medals this time?

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger loonyhiker said...

Many students have different learning styles and teachers need to try to accommodate these styles. Many of my students were tactile kinesthetic learners and could not remember unless they added movement to the learning. I can listen better if I have my computer and type my notes on the computer so I guess I understand my students better. We need to stop trying to make all of our students fit in the same mold.

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Nathan Finch and i would like to show you my personal experience with Ritalin.

I am 32 years old. Have been on Ritalin for 2 years now. This drug has saved my life. I have seen drastic differences between times in my life when I was taking it and when I was not. I failed out of one school and graduated top of my class in the next. Floated from job to job and then became very successful. I don't like the way I feel when I am taking it (I'm boring -- no personality) so, I time my doses to help me in the office or when I have to focus on mundane task's at home like paying bills, taxes etc. and then go without it when I'm recreating.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Initially some apatite suppression, insomnia and slight gitters. This was corrected by reducing my afternoon dose.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Nathan Finch

 

Post a Comment

<< Home